make a request online
(or tweet it @WXDU!)
WXDU 88.7 FM
PO Box 90689
Durham, NC 27708
1. Maurizio Bianchi...Symphony for a Genocide...Hospital - Created as a testimony to the atrocities of the Holocaust. Bianchi's abrasive electronics comprised of synthesizers and tape loops are incredibly black and devastating, with wailing alarm sounds, mechanized and annihilating beats, and a few broken vocal samples. As disturbing as it is amazing.
2. Dino Felipe...No Fun Demo...No Fun - Miami-based musician dabbles in experimental mind-melting noise-rock. Jaded, damaged and surprisingly danceable!
3. Circle...Panic ...Ektro - Thank the Gods for more NWOFHM !!! Warning: apocalyptic hardcore hatred and defiance lies inside this high speed album of piss and mayhem! More, more, more.
4. Digital Leather...Sorcerer...Goner – Any friends of the Urinals, is a friend of mine. A grinding 80s synth-punk album mixed with some industrial clamor makes for a raucous finish!
5. Uptight...Early Years...Archive - Restless guitar, acerbic feedback, and floor-shaking low-end bass are the meat of this Tokyo psychedelic rock group. Similar in style to like-minded Les Rallizes Denudes, Uptight's dark psyche sound is packed with echo and feedback with a bit of melancholy bliss.
6. Marzuraan...Five Years Worth of Fuck All...At War With False Noise - Recently released and nicely packaged retrospective of Newcastle's Marzuraan is a batch of inventively flowing, noisy and ever-morphing sludgy metal and heavy drone; a collection of demos, live cuts, and out of print releases.
7. Dan Burke and Thomas Dimuzio...Upcoming Events...No Fun - Near silence and slowly penetrating synthesized, manipulated tones and drones, reorganized and sometimes startling sounds from these two artists Burke, from Illusion of Safety, and sound artist Dimuzio collaborate for an extensive exploration of perhaps the beauty and destruction in all things.
8. Jason Crumer...Ottoman Black...Hospital - Ex-local noisemonger (Facedowninshit, American Band, etc.) returns with a more varied and fantastic album. There may still be an occasional power-saw, and moments of near unbearable racket, but he has now gone much further into creating atmospheres of dread and unsettled ambient spaces. (Thanks Stephen!)
9. Prurient...And Still, Wanting...No Fun - More power electronics excess, but instead of a total onslaught the painful lyrics are given greater space to be heard and to fester amongst the brooding abrasive mess. And yes, he’s my noise heart-throb (Thanks again Stephen!).
10. Night of Pleasure..."Godard Vs. Truffaut"...Columbus Discount Records - The debut EP from Columbus Ohio's Night of Pleasure roots themselves somewhere between the Cleveland punk of the Pagans, Dead Boy, Electric Eels and Columbus 90s era punk circa The New Bomb Turks and Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments. Recorded by Jared Phillips of Times New Viking, the songs here are short and sweet, urgently sung, threatening to collapse in on themselves in a mess of tangled razor-wire guitars and blown-out bass. (Thanks Joey!)